The mission of IndieCollect is to:
- Save American independent films from the risk of extinction, whether through neglect or through faulty preservation strategies.
- Educate filmmakers about the urgent need to preserve our collective body of work.
- Secure long-term archival storage for indie films at no cost to the filmmakers.
- Register every indie title in our unique IndieCollect Index so that each film becomes discoverable.
IS IT ALL WORTH SAVING?
IndieCollect is advocating for conservation of the entire field of independent cinema, across all genres, including fiction, non-fiction, hybrid and experimental works. Independent films represent alternative voices, innovative storytelling techniques, geographical and demographic diversity, and they tackle a vast array of topics. IndieCollect intends to make an eloquent case for how each film fits into the nation’s social and artistic fabric and why this or that archive might wish to safeguard the work. In the largest sense, IndieCollect’s mission is to insure that when the history of motion pictures is written at the end of this century, the work of independent filmmakers will not have been eclipsed.
Campaign with us to save American Indie Films
IndieCollect’s MISSION is to document and preserve for posterity the work of American independent filmmakers — whether the work is fiction, non-fiction, or experimental, whether it originated on film, tape or in a digital format, and regardless of how it was originally presented.
Filmmakers, do you know where your masters are?
Many of us have lost track of our original elements. In some cases, they have disappeared when facilities moved or shut down. Some of us have materials in commercial storage units we can no longer afford. We have heard many horror stories.
- Have you made plans to protect your cinematic legacy?
- Are your film, video & digital materials in a safe place?
SAVE YOUR FILMS NOW!
- Take preservation off the bottom of your to-do list.
- We must all take active steps to preserve our work before it is too late.
HELP US HELP YOU
- If you need help finding a home for your films, please complete the HELP REQUEST form now.
- If you don't have time to put together a list, just let us know you're out there; JOIN the campaign.
Film scholars & cinephiles:
Through the IndieCollect Index, we are documenting the heritage of r film vaults. EMAIL us to learn more.
We can't succeed without you — Support us Now!
IndieCollect is fighting to document, save, restore and re-activate thousands of American independent films before it is too late. Please SUPPORT our effort today.
You can also support IndieCollect’s mission at smile.amazon.com. When you choose the Laboratory for Icon & Idiom, Inc. as your charity, 0.5% of your eligible purchases are donated to IndieCollect.